E2 Visa

The E2 Visa allows you to enter into the U.S and work there on the basis of an investment that you will be running or controlling. The visa requires annual renewal but it can be renewed unlimited times. You must have a substantial investment to get this visa.

E-2 Visa Citizens of a country that maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation with the U.S are admitted with the E-2 Visa. This happens when these nationals are making a significant investment in a local (U.S) business. Those employed by such an individual or eligible organization may also qualify for the E-2 nonimmigrant classification.

Benefits for E-2 Visa Investors will have permission to enter the United States and remain in the country to manage operations of the business. These visas are valid for 5 years, but they can also be renewed in two-year increments as long as the business remains eligible under the E-2 rules of the government of the U.S. Criteria to Meet for an E-2 Investor Visa:

  • You must be from a treaty country
  • There must be an actual, operational business and not simply an idea for one
  • Invest a significant’ amount in the US business.

The funds you invest must be enough to sustain the business. There isn’t a specified amount, but some embassies may require a certain threshold. Canada, for example, requires at least $100,000 •The money you want to invest must not just be promised or simply in a bank account that you can withdraw. You need to actually invest the money in the business. Real estate in the investor’s name doesn’t qualify:

  • In addition to providing a livelihood for the investor, the funds must produce revenue (marginal)
  • Investors must either be the principal, or an employee in a supervisory, highly specialized or executive rank. They shouldn’t be involved in daily tasks and labor provision.

Documentation Required During Application for the E-2 Visa You need documentation to prove that you and the enterprise meet the criteria above. If the business is a corporation, you need to bring Articles of Incorporation. If it is a limited liability company, the investor must show Articles of Organization:

  • The investor must give a resume
  • Franchise agreement
  • An explanation of all funds invested
  • If buying or selling a business you need to show the contact
  • Resume of any manager or executive hired
  • A lease agreement if the investor is renting a commercial space
  • If purchasing a commercial space, the real estate sell or buy contract is needed

If you or even your client needs help in creating a successful E2 immigration business plan for visa application, get in touch with a LEAP consultant today.

Request A Call